Students are introduced to martial arts, acrobatics, music and dance in a fun, relaxed community and play-based environment. Skills include self-defense, acrobatics, rhythm, coordination, music and dance.
In our capoeira program, students are encouraged to practice to play. It is through exposure, repetition and the inheritance of the experience that participants learn improvisation and the ability to respond in relationship with others. Participants are encouraged to show up, be engaged and commit to trying–especially when it is hard to do. Students become nimble in mind and adaptable as they pull from practice and are better able to make well-measured assessments, and thus, learn to face uncertainty in the unknown.
Want our program in your school? School time or After-school time.
Contact Jarrel Phillips for a sample class and for more info. Fees based on program arrangements.
“Capoeira is a martial-art that develops the mind, body and spirit while cultivating community growth and learning. Participants develop self-discipline, self confidence and self-defense techniques through Afro-Brazilian traditions and values. Other skills include acrobatics, rhythm, coordination, music and dance.”
—Samoel Domingos, Mestre Urubu Malandro, Capoeira Ijexa
Through play and movement we will observe, explore, experience, and integrate the following:
- Culture and heritage
- Leadership and Followership
- Community and the significance/role of its participants
- Self confidence
- Creativity /Self expression
- Practicality and application
- Spatial awareness
- Social emotional development
- Rhythm and coordination
- Self regulation / Self Discipline
- Active Engagement and interaction with others
- Working with our strengths and weaknesses
- Facing challenges
Session Goals (For participants within a 6-12wk session):
- Play (spar) in basic game of capoeira.
- Fundamental movements in capoeira- footwork, kicks, evasions, acrobatics.
- Sing 3+ songs + count to 10 in Portuguese.
- Play basic rhythms on instruments (tambourine, drum, etc.).
- Basic origin and history of capoeira.
- Building stronger relationships with classmates/ peers
- Basics of maculele (rhythmic & energetic war dance with sticks).
Masks are required for ALL students. Jarrel Phillips is fully vaccinated and following strict safety protocol/code for covid purposes and the health and safety of everyone. If necessary, classes will switch to outdoors or zoom.